Friday, February 10, 2012

Sir Stranger, Knight of Dollarama and Fearless Defender of a Maidens' Safety

 I don't know about you, but most days I wish I lived in the 17th century instead of the 21st. One of the main reasons, of course, being I would get to spend everyday of my life luxuriating in floor length gold satin gowns with puffed sleeves whilst pouring over a book in the bay window over looking the garden of my castle. I would of course have to be some form of royalty for this to actually happen. If not, the 17th century may very well have been a nightmare for me. Spending everyday in an itchy sackcloth dress (that i am sure would do NOTHING for my complexion) lugging buckets of milk on my shoulders up and down the hill, and then at the end of day having no electricity or hot water to take my regular one hour long bubble bath. Although lets be serious, i would most likely be a princess.

 Needless to say, there were both good and bad things about the middle ages, but the most important, and seriously lacking in our society today, was a little thing called CHIVALRY. For those of you who may have no idea what I am talking about here and think that Chivalry is another word for an ancient shovel, an expensive cheese or a brand of jeans let me explain. Chivalry was a code that Knights lived by in their everyday lives. They were not only expected to be fearless warriors but also gentlemen and kind hearted outside of battle. It was explained and written down in "The Songs of Roland" also known as "Charlemagne's Code of Chivalry" composed between 1098-1100:

 To fear God and maintain His Church
 To serve the liege lord in valour and faith
 To protect the weak and defenceless
 To give succour to widows and orphans
 To refrain from the wanton giving of offence
 To live by honour and for glory
To despise pecuniary reward
To fight for the welfare of all
To obey those placed in authority
To guard the honour of fellow knights
To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
To keep faith At all times to speak the truth
To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
To respect the honour of women
Never to refuse a challenge from an equal
Never to turn the back upon a foe

 Now what woman in her right mind would NOT want a man like this? And what man in their right mind would not want to live their life to honour this code? This all brings me to the main point of this post.

 Today the cutest little old man in his late 70's, who I should very well have been opening a door for, went out of his way to open the door for me at dollarama. He then proceeded to walk me to my car so i wouldn't slip on the ice and told me to drive safely in the snow and have a lovely day.

 Sigh..... now that is a true gentleman! I think that our generation has a lot to learn from people like this sweet old man. And call me old fashion but i still think that if there is a lady standing on a bus no matter how old or young she may be (and ESPECIALLY if she is in heels), that a a sturdy healthy young man should always give up their seat. I can't tell you how many times i have seen people stay sitting when their is a pregnant lady or elderly person standing directly in front of them. The same goes for woman. There is no reason we can't live by the laws of chivalry and give up our seats as well!

 Haven't you ever dreamed of being a fearless knight or lady warrior?? Well here's your chance! Let's all try to integrate at least one of the points from the Code of Chivalry a day into our daily routine. Trust me, the world will be a better place for all because of it.



 Ps. Just to clarify, I am dating a Knight of my very own, so this doesn't pertain to you hunny, you are doing just fine. Love you xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Well? May I humbly add myself as a self proclaimed modern day knight? I have always opened doors for ladies and have noticed every man, ever, who has not. You know the one's who walk in first in front of his lady friend or wife. I have literally stopped at a intersection and helped an old lady across the street.It perturbs me to no end when a man remains seated on a crowded bus with a standing lady only inches from his seated bent knee.Language!God's name in vain, vulgarity,Lets not even go there. Any man who can cuss in front of his girl, any girl as far as that goes, is a poor excuse as a human being, Not even worthy of a comment. Words cant describe this kind of man.Yes! I look at all ladies , young or old as damsels in distress.I for one thank God for one of his most precious and beautiful creations!Ladies! I'm gifted with 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwhhhh daddy!! I think you are the bravest of all knights!! Andddd you are my first comment!! yay! thank you <3

    ReplyDelete